HOW TO SELECT A FIBER OPTICAL COMMUNICATION LINE
HOW TO SELECT A FIBER OPTICAL COMMUNICATION LINE?
The choice of FOCL is a very responsible and important task. Be guided by the wise proverb: "Measure seven times, cut once."
FEATURES OF SELECTING A FIBER OPTICAL COMMUNICATION LINE (FOCL) WHEN RENTAL AND PURCHASE
Recently, more and more companies refuse to build and maintain their own fiber-optic cable (FOC) and prefer to lease optical fibers from major players in this market.
This is primarily due to the high cost and complexity of FOC maintenance.
The unit costs of maintaining FOCs with a relatively small optical network are much higher than those of large players, including the cable recovery time, which for companies specializing in this type of service will be much shorter than for small inexperienced owners of fiber-optic cables.
WHAT DO WE RECOMMEND TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN CHOOSING FOCUS FOR RENT?
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS OF FOCL / FOC
- A fiber optic communication line offered for lease must be designed and built in accordance with all required industry standards, norms and rules. In other words, the owner of the FOC, from which you are going to lease the FOCL, must have the FOC legally built with all the necessary permits and title documents. The owner of the FOC must provide you with the relevant documentation for your FOC, in which you are going to rent the FOCL;
- The total attenuation on the entire communication line should not exceed 0.28 dB / km at a wavelength of 1550 nm;
- The cable line should be built with a single-mode optical cable intended for laying in city telephone cable ducts. A certificate of conformity must be provided for the cable;
- The FOCL should not contain intermediate transmitting, receiving, relaying or other active equipment along the entire length of the leased cable;
- The leased FOCL should not have intermediate mechanical connections through passive crossover equipment along the entire length of the route and should end with passive crosses only at the points of location of the terminal equipment;
- In the course of commissioning, the owner of the FOC must provide technical documentation and test results for the optical line offered for rent (reflectogram); In the case of leasing several fiber-optic lines to the same points for the purpose of redundancy, the fiber-optic communication line offered for lease should be connected by two different non-intersecting routes. It is also worth paying attention, if there is a technical feasibility, that a fiber-optic cable is brought into the room at each of the specified addresses through two different independent cable glands;
- As part of a fiber-optic link within one cable route, fibers of the same type should be used: ITU-T G.652;
- The signal attenuation on the used cable should not exceed the cable's rated values (no more than 0.23 dB / km at a wavelength of 1550 nm);
- Attenuation at the welding point is not more than 0.05 dB at a wavelength of 1550 nm. The loss value for each welded joint is determined as the arithmetic mean of the results of measurements with an optical reflectometer from both ends of the optical line;
- Discuss with the owner of the cable the type of connectors at the ends of FOCL in crosses;
- In the locations of fiber-optic crosses, a technological reserve of an optical cable with a length of 5-8 meters, with loops of 1.0-1.2 m in diameter, must be provided;
- The permissible bending radius when installing the cable in a room (building) must be at least 20 cable diameters.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ACCEPTANCE TESTS OF FOCL
When assessing the quality of welded joints along the entire length of optical fibers, one should be guided by the instructions of the current document of the Ministry of Communications of the Russian Federation: "Standards for acceptance measurements of elementary cable sections of trunk and intrazone underground fiber-optic transmission lines of a public communication network."
The norms are approved by the order of the State Committee for Communications of Russia dated 17.12.97 No. 97
Link to the official Internet resource "The Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of the Russian Federation" by which you can familiarize yourself with the document "Order of the State Communications Committee of Russia dated 17.12.97 No. 97":
a) Passport of the FOCL route:
Optical cable passport;
Attenuation measurement protocol at both ends of the path;
Route of cable laying through the telephone duct;
Route of cable laying through buildings;
Optical cable grounding diagram;
List of inspection of telephone and cable facilities;
Work performance certificate;
Reflectograms of the FOCL section.
b) Working documentation:
Testing certificate of measuring equipment;
SRO certificate and certificate;
Certificate of conformity for the used optical cables;
Certificate of conformity for applied optical couplings;
Certificate of conformity for the used optical distribution frame.
Note: Decide whether the submission of documentation for individual sections of the route is allowed or not.
MAINTENANCE OF RENTED FOCLES
The owner of an EQA must:
maintain the operability of the fiber-optic communication line and its compliance with the requirements specified in the lease agreement;
provide round-the-clock technical support for filing applications for troubleshooting fiber-optic communication lines that may arise during the lease;
eliminate fiber-optic communication faults that may arise during the lease, within 48 hours (or another agreed period of time) from the moment of filing a fault claim;
the cost of FOCL maintenance should be included in the rental price.